Bad Reputation

Rio sometimes has a bad rap as being a dangerous place to visit, but I would bring my family here for a vacation. I am sure that with 12 million people, many very poor, there are some areas of town that a tourist should stay out of. We have been in a tourist area and generally I have felt safe here and driving though the city. I also feel pretty safe working in the middle of a fenced off Navy base. 

One thing that I have noticed all week is the total absence of any signs in English. All around the world, signs in the airport, signs on highways, signs on shops and billboards have some English. Here it is 100% Portuguese. Most people do not speak any English at all. Our driver the last two days does not speak English. 

Rio will be the site of the Soccer World Cup in 2014 and then Rio will be the host of the 2016 Summer Olympics. Both of these events will let the world see Brazil and Rio. Many of the locals would like the  government to spend the billions of dollars on schools and health care and roads instead of on stadiums so there have been a lot of protests this year, including this week.  

Comments